One of my favorite dishes to eat in Turkey was “Etli Nohut” or Meat and Chickpea Stew. This is a very easy recipe to make that tastes delicious. And, you can make the whole thing from items in your pantry! Although the traditional recipe calls for meat, I prefer to make it without. You can also make it vegetarian by swapping out the beef or chicken broth for veggie broth or water. This dish serves 4.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 dried red pepper/green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté chopped onion in olive oil over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Then add in the peppers and tomato paste.
- Stir. Add one cup of beef or chicken broth and the salt.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Then add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 more minutes over a low heat.
- Serve with rice.
Photo Credit: resimlitarifleri.com