Do this once on Sunday and have prepped chicken and greens for the week! It’s a nutritious and delicious meal for lunches that’ll get you through the rest of the day energized with zero indigestion (because no one liked a gassy or complaining colleague).
First choose your type of chicken. To save time I would recommend chicken breasts. They’re easy to cut into small bite size pieces for the salad, however a whole chicken can work it’ll just take longer.
I like one chicken breast a meal but ill leave that for the reader to decide.
Ingredients you’ll need for marinade:
- 1 ½cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1cup packed basil leaves
- ¼cup packed chives
- 2garlic cloves, peeled
- 2anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1scallion, white and green parts
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1lime
- 2teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1(4- to 5-pound) chicken, halved through the breast and back bones, patted dry with paper towels
- 1 to 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Ingredients for salad:
- 50/50 Baby Arugula/Spinach Mix or any type of mix greens. A little Kale doesn’t hurt.
- 3 lemons
- Pepitas or Pine Nuts
- Parmesan or Feta
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Herb Mix: Dill, Parsley, Chive
- Jalapenos for a Kick
70% Lemon Juice 30% Olive Oil
- After you’ve completed the marinade (hopefully adding jalapenos) let the chicken sit for a couple hours or over night.
- After either cooking the chicken on stove or grill. (Cut up chicken first before cooking on stove to speed up process)
- On grill cook chicken six to seven minutes a side.
- Check out the blog post on cooking meat perfect each time.
Step 2 The Greens:
- Grab two handfuls of your greens. Sprinkle on Pepitas/Pine Nuts.
- Add Parmesan and herbs daily to the greens to keep them fresh.
- Cut lemons in half and then half again with open face down on cutting board. Use two quarters for each salad.
- Cut tomatoes in half on Sunday or quickly in the morning before heading out.
- Step 3 Getting Out the Door:
Throw the mix of greens and chicken into a to go contained and go on with the day.